Haixi and Qaidam Basin
That is a common question for travelers and tour operators like us.
Haixi Mongolian Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture was once an auxiliary road of the ancient "Silk Road" leading to the Western Regions, lies in the northeastern part of Qinghai - Tibet Plateau with an altitude of 3,500 meters, which is an excellent place to start our journey.
Among its beautiful scenery, Chaka Salt Lake, which means "saline lake" in Tibetan, is one of the most attractive ones. Its pureness, white and blue make it like a dreamland, and it is also rated as “one of the 55 places people must go” by Chinese National Geographic.
Standing on Chaka Salt Lake, travelers can enjoy the infinite beauty of the scenery. In the distance, the water and the sky have no visible boundary. What a magic view!
Unexpectedly, we have come to Qarhan Salt Lake, the largest saltwater lake in China. The 32 kilometers (20 miles) long 'Wan Zhang Salt Bridge' is the most famous attraction of the lake.
On the way to Dachaidan, we will pass Keluke Lake, 30 kilometers southwest of Delingha. at an altitude of 2816 meters. The lake is a bird’s paradise, and the song of birds reverberates in the reeds.
Wusute Yardang Geological Park consists of Yardang Landforms and Yahu Lake. The unique water yardang landform is formed as a result of rainfall from the mountains. A change in the Nalenggele River course submerged the yardang in water.
The yardang there used to be lake sediments of the late Tertiary and early Quaternary period. Due to the geologic uplift, the sediments surfaced and were gradually eroded by strong winds, forming the yardang landforms we see today.
Annual Temperature of the Year/℃ ( High-Low )
How to Get to Haixi?
Go to Haixi By Air:
Go to Haixi By Train:
Drive to Haixi:
Driving from Xining to Haixi takes about 6 hours ( 485.9 km ).
Drive to Qaidam Basin:
1. 109 National Road departs from Xining, along the south of Qinghai Lake, passes through Chaka and Dulan to Golmud, climbs Kunlun Mountain to the south, and finally enters Tibet.
2. 315 National Road traverses Qaidam Basin; starting from Xining, passing throuh Delingha, and passing through the southern part of the Devil City until the westernmost part of Qinghai Lake.
3. Start from Golmud along National Highway 215 and drive northward, after crossing National Highway 315, you will passing through Dachaidan, and finally arrive at Dunhuang.
Haixi and Qaidam Basin Travel Tips:
2. History: Haixi was once inhabited by the Qiang, and it was also controlled by the Tuyuhun and Tubo regimes successively from the Eastern Jin to the Sui and Tang Dynasties, with the Yuan Gvernment (1271-1368) taking partial control of the area during the Song Dynasty (960-1279).
3. Recommended Time For a Visit: 1-2 Days.
4. Local Highlights: The Nadam Fair is will held in the prairie of Qingshuihe in Golmud City.