The Tibetan word of Labrang Monastery is a variation of the Tibetan world, La-zhang, i.e. the mansion of the living Buddha.
What to visit in Labrang Monastery?
As a must see attractions in Gannan, there are magnificent monastery buildings, when you visiting the monasteries, you will see the numerous giant Buddha statues and exquisite sculptures, murals, artifacts, to name just a few. Furthermore, you can also accumulate the merits and pray for your relatives and friends by turning scripture here.
When is the best time to visit?
Every June to August are the best time to travel to Labrang Monastery, at this time the temperature of Gannan is between 15 and 30 degrees Celsius, which is quite proper to visit.
By the way, the different religious ceremony will be held at Labrang Monastery, in Every February, April, July, September and October.
Every October is Zongkabanepani Day, during that period the monastery will open to the public and travelers can not only see the monks chanting sutras and worshipping, but also enjoy the 'Light Festival' in the evening, which is quite magnificent.
The History & Tibetology Education Institution of Labrang Monastery
Since its founding in 1709, the temple monastery has developed with constant unremitting efforts from the Jam-yang-shay-ba Trulku"Jiamuxiang Living Buddhas, monks and the secular followers.
Now, it has become a large comprehensive temple monastery of 6 schools, 108 temples and 8 parishes, including Wensi, Xubuxia, Xubushang, medicine, Shilun and Xijingang Hevajra under Exoteric and Esoteric Buddhism. During its development, it has formed a unique culture of Tibetan Buddhism including buildings, schools, Dharma assemblies. Buddhist arts, Tibetan Buddhist scripture, etc. It has been one of the highest education institutions of Gelu School of Tibetan Buddhism, known as World Tibetology Education Institution In the world.
Travel strategies of Labrang Monastery
In general, tourists can take a coach to Xiahe (about 4 hours drive), then you can visit the temple in the afternoon, and leave Xiahe next morning after experience the matin. Actually, the traditional method of visit Labrang Monastery is to walk clockwise around the temple, which is also a pilgrimage ceremony of Tibetan Buddhism.
Travel tips of Labrang Monastery
1. Tourists need to respect the beliefs and customs of the local minorities. After entering the temple, tourists are not allowed to make noise and take pictures.
2. It is also very good to watch and shoot the stars in the temple area at night.
3. Gannan has a high altitude and strong ultraviolet radiation. Travelers should take some sunscreen products, moisturizing cream and anti-altitude medicines.
4. The temperature difference between day and night in the scenic area, so tourists are suggested to bring some warm clothes.
1. There are five buses to Xiahe at 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 14:00 and 15:00 every day at Lanzhou South Passenger Station. It will takes about 4 hours and the fare is 75 RMB.
2. There is a shuttle bus to Xiahe at 14:00 a day in Langmusi Town. It takes about 4 hours and the fare is 70 RMB.
The admission fees: Free of Charge
Opening Time: The scenic spot is open all day
Related Articles & Posts
Badanjaran Desert Dunhuang Museum
Jiayuguan Pass Zhangye Danxia Landform
2 Days Dunhuang Tour Binglingsi Temple and Labrang Exploration
Gansu Buddhism Tour Lanzhou-Zhangye-Dunhuang Tour