14 Days Silk Road Culture Exploration
Thank you for your kind email. Many good thoughts have been coming your way during our great holiday in China!
All the guides were excellent as we said in our reviews but 'Frank' in Gansu Lanzhou was excellent +, and Mr Star in Datong was excellent ++.
I will tell you a few small points which could perhaps improve a tour even more:
1. When we were collected by a guide from Beijing airport on 23 October, we asked what time we should be picked up for going to Gansu Dunhuang on 25 October, for a 06.40 flight. She consulted with her boss and said 04.00hrs but the guide who arrived on 25 Oct expected us to be ready for 03.30 with good reason. When we arrived at the airport the queues for check-in were enormous. Somehow he worked some magic and got us boarding passes quickly. As well as leaving earlier from the hotel, it would have been better if we had checked in and printed / obtained our boarding passes before leaving our country, or when we arrived in Beijing.
2. Colourful Hotel, Zhange was quite far out of Zhange so we had no choice but to eat there. We were put in a private dining room and eventually given an expensive, although tasty, meal, but only after a lot of effort. They would be better to have simple pictures like ordinary restaurants have - pointing to a dish you would like is much easier!
4. Hongshanyi Hotel, Pingyau, an old Chinese courtyard hotel was delightful! I never told you that we prefer smaller, simpler, friendly, family hotels as I appreciate that it can be difficult to get Western toilet facilities in these hotels / guest houses. If it is possible, could travellers be given the choice between types of hotel? Maybe most people who travel like 4 * hotels best, unlike us!
5. Soft Sleeper trains were a new, interesting experience! However, lifting heavy luggage containing books for 2 conferences, and clothes etc for 4 weeks, was very difficult - going up and down stairs in underpasses; lifting cases up the high steps into the train; and putting the cases into the very high storage areas in the train!
6. We enjoy having time to explore places on our own but we understand that this was an intense tour with a packed itinerary so it was difficult to give us a bit more time on our own, however, that would have been appreciated.
These are not criticisms of your wonderful tour, but rather just some observations and suggestions.
With best wishes - and many thanks
- Silk Road Travel from Australia
- Silk Road Travel from Malaysia
- Silk Road Tour for Senior Citizen
- Essence of Spring-Apricot Blossom F...
- Qinghai Route of Silk Road
- The Silk Road Beef Noodles
- Silk Road Private Tour
- Dunhuang Specialities
- Silk Road Travel: Following the ste...
- Silk Road Travel from Kashgar to Pa...